Monday, April 7, 2014

Hearing God's Voice - Testimony

It was December 2012 and I was on a plane headed to California with a new friend.  We were going to visit a church in northern California for a long weekend and I was so excited about the entire trip.  After we talked and talked and talked, we finally switched seats in order to turn our heads in the opposite direction because we were getting neck cramps!  My friend became tired and decided to rest.  I sat there, now in the middle of her and a stranger, quiet, giddy, fully awake.  I was on an adventure with God and it was thrilling.  I remember thinking to myself, “my kids aren’t with me, my husband is not with me, I have absolutely no responsibility right now and nothing to distract me.  What can I do with this precious time?”  I then had the next thought, “This God-adventure begins now, not when we get to the church for the weekend”.  So, I decided that the kid on my left was the perfect target for prayer.  He was slumped down with his black hoodie over his head and ear buds in for the entire flight.  He never moved.  I prayed, “God, I know you love this kid just as much as you love me.  Would you show me Your love for him?”  What happened next was a series of visions I had while my eyes were closed.  First, I saw a single tool, then it disappeared, then another and then it vanished.  I opened my eyes and looked at the kids’ hands and decided that the Lord was showing me that he was a mechanic.  I typed it on my iphone.  I continued praying for him.  I was flooded with more ‘words of knowledge’ for him and was able to actually feel how God created this person.  I could actually feel that this kid was a giver.  He loved his family.  I kept writing things down in a list-fashion on my iphone.  After a while I decided to get up and walk around.  I slipped my phone up into the overhead compartment on my way back to my seat and continued the rest of the flight in total peace and rest. 

As we began to make our descent I realized that I would need to actually share the revelations that I received with this kid in order to fully walk this thing out in faith to see God get some glory.  I decided that I would wait until we were just about to land, when he had to turn off his electrical device before I engaged in conversation.  As he stirred from his sleep and prepared for the landing I somehow mustered up enough guts to make small talk with him.  I then proceeded to tell him that I had been praying for him as we were flying.  He looked at me like a deer in headlights and then to my surprise a huge grin grew across his face.  He laughed and said, “You prayed for me?  Wow.  Thank you.  I am a Christian.”  I then asked him where he lived, and some general questions.  It turned out that he is from California and he was on his way home from North Carolina to say an emotional goodbye to his family before he was being deployed to Afghanistan for the first time.  He then disclosed his profession:  He is a mechanic on black hawks!!!  My arms went limp and my heart began to race faster.  I was overwhelmed with the fear of the Lord.  I said, “I know, the Lord showed me while I was praying for you that you were a mechanic.  I will get my phone down as soon as we land and show you the whole list of things God wanted me to tell you”.  We both sat there giddy and in awe of God as I shared with him all that I could remember from my prayer time.  He allowed me to pray for him and we enjoyed being in God’s presence as His love was so evident for this kid.  As soon as I could, I reached up and got my iphone.  We were both in awe as we looked at the list together and began to deplane.  When my friend and I were walking up the tunnel into the next airport the kid ran up behind us and said, “Hey! You want to see what I work on?”  Chris then showed my friend and me a short video clip of himself in his fatigues with his black hawk all revved up in the background.  It was incredible. 

I love how God works.  I could have totally missed that opportunity and read a good book, fed my spirit on the Word or plugged in some worship music for the rest of the flight-all good things.  But, as soon as I made myself fully available to let God’s love flow through me into another person, both of our worlds were rocked.  This has happened a couple of times since then and I’m realizing that God loves everyone and He is waiting for willing participants to be conduits of His love.  It doesn’t always have to be a word of knowledge.  The key is to simply be available and make your spirit free and open to being used by God however He directs in the moment.  It always involves love and faith.  With those two you can never fail. 

1 Corinthians 13:8a –“ Love never fails [never fades out or becomes obsolete or comes to an end]”.

-Jenn H. 

No comments:

Post a Comment